We take privacy and the maintenance of participant anonymity seriously at Prolific.
Here is a list of information which you cannot ask participants for:
- First and/or Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Zip Code
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- However, you can ask for participants' Prolific email which will look like 'firstname.lastname@example.org' and can be used like a regular email to run multi part studies that require you to contact participants
Should you need to contact participants we have a Prolific messaging and email system in place to ensure anonymity is protected. You can read more about our messaging and email system in this article.
- Some information about messaging participants:
- Our messaging/email system helps to ensure that participant anonymity is protected
- Messages should only be sent to participants regarding matters directly related to a study
- Researchers may not request any information that may potentially deanonymize participants
- Participants cannot be contacted for marketing or sales purposes under any circumstances
We also have some guidelines surrounding deception studies that may require the disclosure of personal information.
- If you wish to run a 'deception study' which asks for any of the identifiers listed above, it is essential that you use the 'Deception' prescreening filter
- You may not actually record or store any personal information
- You must provide participants with a comprehensive debrief after the study
- If you wish to run a deception study please contact us at email@example.com prior to publishing the study
There may be some other cases where your study design requires the collection of personal data. In this case please get in touch with Prolific Support to discuss what approaches might be possible. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.