If you wish to recruit a niche sample, or cannot obtain the specific population you require using our existing filters, it is not permitted to screen participants within your survey or study description. You can read more about why this is not allowed .
What is a Screening Study?
How will this work?
- First, please submit a support request in which you outline your custom screening requirements. In other words, tell us about the specific sample population you wish to target in your study, along with any additional demographic restrictions (e.g. UK residents only, full-time employed).
- Our support team will review your screening criteria to determine how to identify your target population within our existing participant pool. This will include estimating the feasibility of targeting your desired sample on Prolific, and phrasing any new screening questions carefully so as to avoid response biases.
- If feasible, we will create a Screening Study for you, which will contain your custom screening questions & associated response options. This will appear on your Prolific Researcher account as an Unpublished study, so you can decide how many participants you’d like to distribute the study to.
- Once you’ve decided how many responses to the Screening Study you wish to obtain, simply top up your account (via or ) with the necessary funds and Publish the study. Then, sit back and wait for the responses to come in!
- As Prolific participants take part in your Screening Study, their responses will be saved to a new custom filter in . This means that you can add your custom screening questions to your Prolific prescreening criteria on any future studies that you run.